Reporting to the Commercial-Lines Products VP, your primary role will be to support the Commercial-Lines department in volume growth and new products development. You will act as a subject matter expert in the underwriting process and offer support to our commercial brokers. As such, the objective of the position is to ensure compliance and application of Commercial-Lines underwriting rules in order to maintain adequate profitability across the entire portfolio under management.
- Analyze, rate and accept new business, renewals and endorsements submitted by brokers, in compliance with procedures, standards and guidelines.
- Propose solutions to brokers’ various requests for complex and special cases in order to offer support worthy of the company’s values.
- Request inspections and follow up recommendations with brokers to ensure compliance with underwriting rules.
- Approve insurance certificates.
- Send and follow up quotes to brokers.
- Submit files requiring specific approval to participating insurers.
- Identify and recommend efficiency gain opportunities and/or technological changes in order to improve business results and maintain our competitive edge.
- Keep abreast of the latest trends in commercial insurance and develop industry knowledge.
- Analyze and compile profitability statistics for insurers for which the company has binding authority.
- Identify trends and solutions related to profitability for specific sectors.
- Maintain underwriting guidelines up to date and ensure that changes are communicated to brokers.
- Participate in the implementation of internal audits to ensure work compliance and adherence to underwriting rules.
- Participate in the development of pricing grids.
- Collaborate in the development of new insurance products.
- Determine strategies with the VP Products, Corporate Services, to maintain and increase the premium volume of our internal offerings.
- Participate in the review of products and wordings.
- Participate in the negotiation of authority agreements with insurance companies.
- Participate in the development of underwriting rules and pricing with our business partners.
- Develop business relationships with insurance company representatives and attend networking meetings.
Your skills, your potential.
- An Attestation of Collegial Studies (ACS) in property and casualty insurance or a Diploma of Collegial Studies (DCS).
- CIP or CRM designation (a strong asset).
- At least 5 years’ experience in commercial underwriting.
- Strong technical knowledge of complex risks, particularly in the fields of real estate, construction, general contractors and SMEs. ( autrement on peut lister: Property insurance, Liability insurance, Business risk insurance, Commercial Automobile insurance)
- Strong communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to seek additional information to make informed decisions.
- Good computer skills (approx. Windows, MS Office);
- Advanced written and oral communication skills in French and intermediate English to fully understand insurers’ contracts.